Have you ever wondered, “How can I be happier?” Have you ever Googled ‘How to be happy’? Or have you ever purchased a self-help book on how to find happiness? Keep on reading, and you will learn tips and tricks on how to be truly happy.
One of the things many happy people and successful people have in common is a positive mindset.
Have confidence in yourself.
We all know it’s easier said than done.
As someone who grew up with little self-confidence and lots of self-doubt, I know what it’s like to struggle with confidence.
Being verbally harassed in middle school and high school (by some of the people closest to me) certainly took a large toll on my confidence.
Here’s the thing: There’s always going to be someone who’s trying bring you down. So while everyone is trying to diminish your happiness, what can you do to make yourself happy?
First, the secret…that is not such a secret, but rather a true fact we need to internalize.
Here it is:
The worst enemy of all is not those trying to tear you down, the worst enemy of all is yourself.
Who was my worst enemy? My peers? My friends? My family?
My worst enemy was myself.
I was the one who believed what they said. I consumed their insults and took their words to heart. I chose to care about their opinions of me.
By believing in their words, I chose to not think very highly of myself.
I said the worst things imaginable to myself.
I found myself very unhappy and wanting to change that.
Did it happen overnight?
Confidence doesn’t happen overnight, but like many wise people say, “You gotta fake it till you make it!” Over time, you won’t be just ‘faking it’ anymore. You will realize how truly amazing and special you are.
So, how did I fake it?
Keep on reading, and I will tell you.
It will take effort and small changes each and every day, but start now, and it will pay off for you if you’re consistent and driven.
You can do it! I have confidence in you.
Here are a few strategies that have worked for me.
1. Tell yourself 3 positive things about yourself each day. You can say them aloud, to yourself in the mirror, write them down, or just say them in your mind. I prefer to do this in the morning as my “self-love” routine–that way I don’t forget!
2. Remind yourself that no one is superior to you. Everyone is human–it is as simple as that. Others may have accomplished more, but who is saying you cannot accomplish what they have or more than what they have?
3. Instead of comparing yourself to others, focus on your goals. What do you want to improve on? Write them down and hang them up somewhere you can see each day. Create steps to achieve those goals! Each step you take will feel like little successes helping you get to your end goal. In addition to this, pursue what you are passionate about. You only live once…(unless you believe in reincarnation)…so get moving!
4. Spread the love! Go up to at least one person a day and let them know you appreciate them. It can be as simple as a genuine compliment. This will spread positivity, and you will feel its effects.
5. Take care of yourself. Gym? A hearty breakfast? Music to get you in the mood? I start my day with a workout and dancing to some music—even just five minutes of movement has a large positive impact on my entire day.
6. Smile with reckless abandon! Forcing yourself to smile more, to others, and in the mirror, will actually make you start to smile for real.
7. Help others. You can volunteer or it can be something small. For example, you can start by holding the door for someone, giving someone some spare change, give someone some good advice, or help a friend move into their new home. It will make you feel a sense of purpose.
8. Make changes. Are you too comfortable in your current job or position in life? Maybe you need to make a change and get out of your comfort zone. Maybe you want to try something new? Only you can make that decision!
9. Talk it out. Make connections with others. Sometimes, we need to just talk with someone else. Talk with a friend or family member. If there is not one who will willingly listen to you, seek other people or other outlets. Look up local events in your area, join an online chatroom, or just strike up a conversation with a stranger. There are many people in the world you can reach out to.
10. Recreate your favorite memory in your mind. Get in that mental happy place. Remember that happy memory, and keep it in storage for a rainy day! If it helps, think about it every day.
11. Going forward, what made your favorite memory your favorite memory? Are there aspects of it that you can bring into your current life? Make the changes in your life yourself. No one else is going to make them for you.
Most important of all:
When you are focused on yourself, accomplishing your goals, and working towards your dream, you will find that you are more happier than ever.
When will you be your happiest? When you accomplish your dream.
So, do not give up! Have a positive mindset, and work towards everything you want!
You’ll notice that just by making these changes and taking steps to achieve your passions, you will be a lot happier.
When you are happy, it will pour into all facets of your life.
So, what are you waiting for?
Follow these steps, and go be happy! 🙂
We’d love to hear about you, your experiences, and your story! Please~ we encourage you~ to comment down below.